Tuesday, February 13, 2007

So, despite the fact that my life is objectively fantastic, I've been having a bit of a hard time lately. Blame it on lack of stability, fear of the future, late-twenties angst (is there such a thing? I wasn't a particularly angstful teenager... maybe I'm just a late bloomer), or perhaps the weather. I'm actually about to make a powerful argument for the last one: the sun is out this morning (after 4 days of rain), and the sole tree in my backyard, which was pretty much the first tree around to drop its leaves last fall, is suddenly covered with tiny pink blossoms. And, despite the fact that I am under more stress today than I am emotionally capable of admitting, I feel much much better after a 2 minute gaze out the window.

I guess my main point is to marvel at how much human psychology is tied to nature's cycles. And also to express thanks that we're entering the fun part of the cycle. I remember when I lived on the east coast, Spring would come all at once with a dramatic showing of new leaves, sunshine and warm temperatures, and little baby plants emerging from the ground where the snow was nearly melted. Every single person would be high for one week straight, skipping everywhere, smiling and breathing deep for no reason at all, and being absolutely, genuinely good to each other. It's a brief experience in the context of a full year, but it alone makes 5 months of winter worthwhile.

I miss it, living out here, but today's sunshine alone is enough to get me through whatever problems my charmed life can throw at me. If I ever get any real problems, you can look for me in a cabin in Vermont, waiting patiently for nature to cure me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.