Saturday, September 15, 2007

Bush, you old fool

Earlier this week there was an article in Salon.com about how current Transportation secretary Mary Peters was on TV railing against how bike paths (among other things) unfairly take money away from the transportation infrastructure budget because "they are not really transportation".

OK, I'm not going to get all worked up and write a long thing because some conservative cunt said something I disagreed with on TV. I mean, I'd be here all day. To be honest, I didn't even finish reading the article.

This is all I want to say about it: why, WHY does it seem sometimes that the current administration is opposed to every single thing I value? I mean, when it started, I knew it wasn't going to be pretty. I know Bush's views on social programs, abortion, the environment, etc were opposed to mine. That's why I didn't vote for him. But, there are so many issues to take a stance on in the political universe. I would expect to find some level of common ground with just about any person I meet, and if they manage to get elected to be the president, their views must be at least within a stone's throw of sanity, and so it should be even more likely to find some point of mutual agreement.

But so far, nothing. Apparently, we can't even agree on the positivity and importance of people riding bikes. It's not an issue I spend a lot of time thinking about, but I have a pretty solid opinion on it. I just don't think of it as all that controversial. Apparently, it is. Good job, Bush Administration! I think you've managed to bat 0 for 1,536 in stances taken on issues over the last 7 years. Maybe you should have your secretary of Health or whatever issue a statement against kittens and orchids, just to make it a clean sweep.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

Upon election (or appointment, as I like to put it), Andrew and I cheered each other up by agreeing, "How bad can it be?" I think it took us less than a year to agree the only reason he wasn't going to blow up the Sun was the lack of technology.