Friday, April 20, 2007

American Idol and the Nature of Reality

So my predictions were almost spot on so far, except that I expected Phil to be a goner before the last three. I guess what happened with him is that he managed to get just a few more votes than each of the other sucky people have been kicked off, and then last week he was surprisingly good, which gave him a larger reprieve. Also, I think Phil must have some sort of appeal I just don't understand. I like him more after the country music show, because I see a facet of him that does show talent and charisma, but I doubt we'll be seeing that again. Anyway, if he sucks in every genre but one, doesn't that still make him pretty much a person who sucks? In any case, he can't win so he will be eliminated eventually, possibly next week. I would like to see him have some success in the country music scene following the show. I think he deserves it. In fact, all of the top 6 (except maybe Chris, who I also don't get at all) deserve some sort of success in the music industry.

I also have a more interesting observation: Ever since I began watching the show, I have been pondering the question of whether or not the voting actually guides the choice of who is eliminated. On one hand, it is a nice reality to believe in. The show's democratic nature is a large part of its appeal, and to believe that our votes do not actually count makes the show yet another piece of vapid, pointless television. I guess I would never argue that it's much more than that, but I would argue that were it not for the sense of audience participation, the show would not be successful. I know this doesn't make it true, but it makes me want to believe it's true. Because if I don't, then my enjoyment is diminished and my life is poorer as a result.

On the other hand, I have a compulsion to be intellectually honest with myself. This is why I'm not into organized religion. I can't make myself believe in some shit just because I want it to be true. My rational side is just too dominant. One of my favorite movies of all time the movie Quiz Show, which documents the unveiling of the scandals surrounding the shows "21" and "The $64,000 Question" in the late 50's. The trivia questions asked of the contestants were supposedly locked in a bank vault until just before airtime, and it seems like pretty much every one in America believed this. The shows were wildly popular in the common culture, much in the same was as American Idol is today.

It turns out of course, that the questions (and answers) were given to the contestants ahead of time. The whole thing was fiction, complete with fantastically dramatic failures of contestants who had been "winning" for long periods of time. The producers would analyze the ratings and public opinion each week, decide what the most compelling and dramatic thing to happen would be for the next week, and then make it happen.

Of course, when the little man behind the curtain was revealed, there was massive outrage among the public. There were congressional hearings, and lives (mostly of the contestants who had previously been seen as heroes) were ruined. The movie tries to cast these events as the begining of the loss of American innocence that seemed to take place between the 1950s and the 1960s. I don't know how true that really is, but I buy it as a factor at least. I don't think people were ever that trusting of television again.

Which brings me back to American Idol. Is it fixed? And does it matter? The argument that it is fixed lies mostly in sheer economics. A lot of money rides on the show. Would you, as an American Idol producer, with huge sums of other people's money riding on subtle ratings changes on the show, risk a less compelling outcome based on the whim of the public? I wouldn't want the outcome to be in control of anyone but myself. Especially if I was an expert in creating dramatic entertainment. And I really do think those guys know what they're doing.

My evidence to back this up is the story Sanjaya, who was eliminated this week. I remember hearing a while back that ratings for the show were down this season. I don't know if this continues to be the case, but I do know that Sanjaya has been the primary topic of Americna Idol discussion in nearly every medium. Even people who have never seen the show seem to know who he is. There is no way that his continued presence has driven up the ratings significantly. Also, he seems to have exited at precisely the right time. The joke was starting to get old, and it is perfect timing due to the fact that next week is the big charity show they've been promoting all season. The idea behind the charity show, I'm sure, is to increase the credibility of the show which pretty much everyone agrees is fluffy entertainment. Sanjyaya was making people talk, but the higher he climbed, the more he was undermining the little respect the show actually carried. Now, they can shed this old, stale joke that was weighing them down, and go forward with their very serious and very very important charity spectacular. His exit could not have been more perfectly timed.

Being a member of the post-quiz-show-scandal, post-loss-of-American-innocence generation, I cannot say I believe the show is genuine in its claim that the votes choose who goes home (although I am sure they factor into the decision the producers make - it's very helpful in determining public opinion). I do however, vote for Blake dutifully each week. Why do I do this? As stated earlier, I simply could not enjoy the show if I wasn't able to suspend my disbelief for at least a few hours each week.

As I get older, the more able I am to do this. I am increasingly comfortable with contradictions and a small amount of controlled, irrational behavior. I don't think this means I'll start going to Church and eating body of Christ crackers, but you never know. Maybe American Idol is the gateway drug to full born-again brainwashing! It's too late for me, but if your kids are rational beings like I once was, keep them away from this stuff or before you know it, they'll be proselytizing door to door and throwing rocks at pregnant teenagers.

No comments: